Date and status
- 201723 June
- ChangesNew projects added
Here you will find a set of interesting projects we did in cooperation with customers or as an assignment from our clients. It's just a small part of our cooperation portfolio. You also find results from additions we made to our existing applications because the clients needed such a new feature. A bit of everything we suppose.
All the results from this page are copyrighted by APP Helmond. You are allowed to use the examples for your own use. You cannot use these examples in any public domain, nor use these for professional commercial purposes. If you would still like to use these, please contact us. Together we'll find a way to make you happy.
When the Volvo Ocean Race hit the French town of Lorient,
we were asked to support in creating a huge 11 x 12 meter photo mosaic portrait of a French (and local) hero Eric Tabarly.
The assignment was given to a French Photographer, Xavier Dubois, who photographed over 2500 people in Lorient against a black, white and gray background.
Together we set to work to create the lay-out of this huge mosaic, where both the source picture and people pictures were in grayscale.
Since Mosaizer XV didn't have a dedicated engine for this grayscale question we had to develop it. With help and feedback from Xavier we finally tweaked the mosaic such that all the photos were used and that it was almost impossible to find a second or third same picture. The result is now seen on the wall opposite the 'Cite de la Voile Eric Tabarly' in the Keroman area in Lorient. A truly great project.
Picture 1: the mosaic needed to cater for 11x12 square meter prints, each 8 tiles of 12.5 cm in size, 96x88 tiles in total.
Picture 2: even Google maps has now a glimpse of the giant mosaic on the wall.
Combine thousands of portraits with an environmental theme, and then display this photo collection at the rear entrance of Langley Fine Arts School's (LFAS's) Chief Sepass Theatre, and this forest of faces has quite a tale to tell.
Over a period of several months, roughly 30 senior photography students at LFAS worked on a large scale, 76-foot by 14-foot photo mosaic mural for the exterior of the school.
This is a unique mural; it features 6,000 photographs of students and staff at LFAS arranged to form an image of the Blaauw Eco Forest. (source: Langley Times).
The making of the mural required accurate grayscale teint matching, to both show the forest picture, while also keeping the quality and grayscale of the portrait lively. The resulting mosaic picture was 91700 x 16400 pixels in size, or 4.4 GB uncompressed bitmap, where each picture was used no more than 4 times. This way the quality was secured: what was finally printed was indeed very comparable with what we designed on screen. Finally, we also created a spreadsheet overview of each individual placed picture, so people can identify who is where... all 17,500 pictures.
Picture 1: the mosaic consists of 350 x 50 pictures, each (portrait) picture was 2.62 x 3.28 inch in size.
Picture 2: the sheer size of it becomes apparent when seen in perspective.
The following example is a movie of swimming fish. Not really swimming, but moving as if they were swimming. The assignment was given by Rob Metsers (www.robmetsers.nl), a professional photographer, specialized in commercial movie creation with a passion for mosaic patterns. We teamed up to create this movie, where Rob's client wanted to draw attention to fresh fish in their supermarkets ('Verse vis' in Dutch). Sybren made the individual fish frames, one animation for each character, while Rob created the full movie. Each character consists of 200 individual frames (1920 x 1080), each frame was saved as a transparent PNG file. This way Rob could create seamless combinations of the characters of each word. This is only a teaser. The full movie can be shown here.
Just recently we were asked by a French entertainment agency, Sharingbox, to help to create a new application. This application should be a mix between Wordaizer and Textaizer, must be managed via the command line, and fully integrated in their hardware. Their hardware would then be used to create a picture, which could be tweaked by the customer self into a black and white picture. Then the application whould create a text face, based on the black areas, together creating a stunning effect, ready for print-out. Which we did. This application creates exactly as was requested for. The examples below show the phases that the web-cam snapshot went through before finally being printed. And all of this within 10 seconds from snapshot to print-out.
Picture 1: three steps from snapshot to print-out picture. The coloured bar in between is the automatically determined colour distribution template for the text colours.
Picture 2: details of the print-out. It's a high resolution picture of 1800 pixels wide, good enough for 13x18 cm printing.
An American based entertainment company, PopNoggins LLC, has asked us to develop a series of applications for their business. These applications were meant to be bundled in a suite called 'Visions'. This suite is still one of the pillars of sales for that company. Basically we had to develop 7 different applications, all interacting with their clients (= people like you and me on a fair, event or party) and deliver a fun trinket to keep. To mention a few: a 3D lenticular plastic picture, where two greenscreen snapshots put the person in any two environment; a free format drag and drop cube with 4 to 6 snapshots, and a greenscreen snapshot to put you in your favourite spot on earth on or the moon if neccessary.
Picture 1: two pictures into one, from two greenscreen snapshots to one 3D lenticular print, left and right are printed on one 5x7 inch paper, and then placed at the back of the lenticular lens.
Picture 2: only 4 snapshots are required to create and print this fun cube. The greenscreen background is filtered out automatically.